Monday, November 9, 2009

Thank you Mr. Fireman

It was an evenful morning in our house today... And interestingly enough, this is a Marcus story, not a Carson story. :) So lately my boys think it's pretty funny to lock bedroom doors and then close them with Shalise inside. On our main floor and upstairs this is not a big deal because we have little keys and they are easy to open. Well down in our basement, the doors have just that little hole so it's a little trickier to open. So while Carson was at school this morning, Marcus locked Shalise in our basement office and came out so he left her in there by herself. So she was crying and I was trying to get the door open with the back of a paintbrush when the paintbrush snapped in half. Why a paintbrush? I don't know, seemed like a good idea at the time... So then I went and got the Dewalt drill to get the screws out and take off the whole doorknob off. This was tricky because the doorknob was so close to the wall and of course I have no regular screwdrivers because they are all in Jake's truck... So I finally get it open and then the part that was left I could not get to unlock. I guess it's called the striker? So Jake's on the phone telling me how to do it and I for the life of me cannot get the thing to unlock. So I have Shalise in there bawling, Marcus upstairs in time out and I'm starting to panic a little cuz I can't get her out and I'm the mom so I should be able to do this! So then I remember that we live literally next door to a firestation so I figure if anyone knows how to open a door it has to be them! So I run over and ask if there is any way they can help me get my daughter out of the room she's locked in. They were super nice and came over and helped me. They said it was jammed which makes me feel a little better cuz I probably couldn't have done it the way I was doing it. He had to use a knife to get it to unlock. So thank you Mr. Fireman! I felt totally stupid going over there but I'm glad that they were able to help me out! I did take cookies over later to thank them and apologize for my ignorance in mechanical things. :) Ever since then Shalise has been saying, "Guy, me out. Guy, where guy?" He's probably her little hero now, it's cute how she keeps asking where he went and knows that he got her out. Oh there is a cute Carson part to this story though. I was telling him about this on his way home from school and of course he had to know every detail, you called the fireman? And he walked over? And he used his knife? And what did he do with the knife? And I told him that they cannot lock doors anymore, they need to be really careful cuz it made mom scared and Carson says, "Mom I sorry that happened. If I was home, I would help you open door. I can use Daddy's knife to help you." The crazy thing is that had he been home, there's a good chance he would have figured it out instead of me, his mind works a lot better that way than mine! So that was my eventful morning....

2 comments:

LeeAnn said...

I feel for Shalise because I was once the tormented little sister. That was good thinking to call on the firemen for help though--excellent parenting!

Cheryl said...

The exciting stories never end with your family. If they weren't so orriginal someone might think you made them up. :)

Way to keep your cool.

I might think about changing all the doornobs. :)