Monday, December 8, 2008

Locked out, twice...

So last night the kids were all tucked in bed, Jake and I were cleaning up and watching TV when we heard the boys crying. So Jake went in the room, pulled Carson out of Marcus's playpen (this is Carson's new favorite thing to do and Marcus REALLY doesn't like it) and puts Carson back to bed. Then I walk in to come tell the boys good night and shut the door behind me so they won't wake up Shalise. Well wouldn't you know it, the door was locked from the outside (this is necessary for bedtime and time outs...) when I walked in so now we are all locked in the boys bedroom. And my attempt to not wake up Shalise doesn't work so we can hear her crying in the bedroom next to us as well. So Jake decides we're going out the window and by "we" he means "me". So he pulls out the screen and I shimmy out the window, run barefoot through the freezing cold and let myself into the garage. At this point I realize that we had locked our door to the house so now I'm locked out of the house. The good news is that we keep a key hidden in our garage, the bad news is that of course the light in our garage doesn't work. So there I am stumbing around in the dark trying to find a flashlight and then finally find the key and let myself in the house to go unlock the other door so Jake can get out. I'm sure glad no one was outside witnessing this because I'm sure it looked like a burglary in progress! And the even better news about this whole thing is that now we have given our 2 and 3 year olds a step by step lesson at a very early age how to sneak out your bedroom window... I think I'm going to have to start checking at night to make sure Carson hasn't tried to pop out the screen or anything!!

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Is this a funny memory yet? I bet there were a few tense moments over this! Yikes!

Valeri Crockett said...

So I can't help but just totally laugh, what a story! I'm glad everything turned out fine. I bet your feet were SO frozen!

Rach said...

Wow. I'm glad for you that you had a spare key in the garage. That's quite a story! And good luck with the window thing. Pretty soon you'll have to lock those somehow so they can't get out, and then you'll really be in a fix if you're all locked in!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha...I think Jake should have gone out the window!

The Mortensen Family said...

That is too funny! Hey at least you were dressed.

Anonymous said...

haha! This story made me laugh. I'm glad it all worked out though :)

Liz said...

That is so funny. I am glad i have a hidden key you never know when you need it.

LeeAnn said...

Classic! I hope you stuck your freezing feet on Jake to warm them up!